I don’t have a “Bucket List.” Not that I don’t want to do cool and amazing things, I just hadn’t sat down and created a list that drives my efforts in life around tasks or accomplishments. I’m a very driven and organized guy. I set weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual goals for my business and my personal life, but no Bucket List. So I started to wonder if I was missing something here.
I read an article with ideas about creating a Bucket List and one of the first things it has you consider is “What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you had done before you die.” Then it lists out other questions like:
- What would you do if you had unlimited time, money & resources?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have / feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
I also found a website called Bucket List that allows you to see what others are doing and say “Yeah, thats something I want on my bucket list.” There is certainly value in taking stock of your life and making sure you use it to the fullest, but all this needs to be kept in mind with your purpose for living in the first place.
Why are You Here?
Jesus told a story in the Bible about a Master who gave his servants a specific amount of Talents and held them accountable to use them wisely. (see this review of the Parable of the Talents for more info) We too will be held accountable for the things GOD has graciously given us while here on earth. That includes the fact we live in the USA, have our health, went to school, have a home and food each day, and more! These “talents” were put in our hands in various amounts, but we are still responsible to use them for God’s glory, not just to check off our Bucket List.
The Bible says that everyone, good or bad, religious or not, will kneel before GOD when you die (Romans 14: 10 -12). And the fact is that NO BODY is good enough, or religious enough, to deserve to pass through those pearly gates. That is why GOD sent his only son Jesus Christ to live, die, and rise again to pay the price for all our shortcomings. And this sacrificial gift of the forgiveness of our sins is a FREE gift that anyone can check off their bucket list today!
Today is the last day on earth for and estimated 153,000 people. If you were to die today, would you really worry about how many things you knocked off your Bucket List, or what it will be like when you kneel before the King of Kings and answer for the life you lived on earth.
I hope you will choose God’s free gift of salvation through a faith in Jesus Christ today. Then see what GOD can do with a life that is completely His. We would love to talk with you more about how this can change your life so contact us at [email protected].
- Come get involved in the DFW Technology Prayer Breakfast team for 2016 and use the talents GOD has given you to serve others. Sign up to be a Volunteer and make plans to join us at our 2016 event on Friday, September 30, 2016.